September 24, 2009

Junkin Family Reunion

Over Labor Day weekend my Mom's side of the family had their annual family get-together. Because of everyone living either across the state or in another state altogether, getting together in the winter-time is usually hard to do. Everyone has to drive over at least one Mountain Pass and the Thanksgiving/Christmas Holiday season is already so busy with just the family that's in-town it's gotten to be a huge hassle to get the entire family (30 and counting) together to celebrate at Christmas. So about a decade or so ago the family decided to celebrate Christmas in July. The passes were clear of snow, the warm weather allowed people to get outside and not be crammed into small rooms, and the later time frame meant a more relaxed (and enjoyable!) pace.

This year the reunion was at my parent's house. Or rather, the very, very tiny rental house that they're living in while their new house is being built. So there was quite a bit of shuffling going on to get everyone a bed. Let's just say that to get everyone a bed four houses/apartments were involved. But we all worked it out and had a great time. The only sad part was that it was Haylee's turn with her Dad so only Uncle Bobby and Aunt Nancy got to see her before she went to Owen's (they came up a day earlier than the rest) and David was busy up at WSU so he never made it down, either. For those of us that were there, though, the days usually began with the golfers going off to their morning/afternoon round of golf, then everyone (including those who didn't golf) coming back to the house to have lunch and chit-chat, then the card-playing would begin with only minor interruptions for dinner and viewing whatever big thing had happened on whichever sports game was on TV (and there were a lot of them!).

The 'time sure changes thing' part that I noticed out of this reunion was how early everyone went to bed. In times past I remember waking up on my airmattress in whomever's basement at 2am to laughter from all the adult's reminescing about times gone by. I somewhat expected the same, but perhaps should have thought about how much time has gone by. Most night's people started to head off around 10pm and the latest anyone every stayed up was midnight. I guess things can't stay the same forever, but it was weird to be one of the one's who closed out the evening instead of being told that it was time for the kid's to go to bed so the adult's could have adult-only conversation. Not only was I included in the adult's conversation (which has been going on for a while now, thank you) but I closed out the evenings. Just...what growing up and getting older is about, I guess.

There was some exciting news to be shared as my cousin Mindy announced her recent engagement. Very recent in fact as she was engaged just the Tuesday before heading over to the reunion. Due to other commitments on his part we weren't able to meet her fiancee' (albeit her Mom and Dad already had) so I'll just look forward to meeting him whenever I'm next in Seattle or at the wedding.
Here are some pictures of the weekend and the fun we had!


Auntie Sue, Grandma, Uncle Bobby, and Keola (the dog) enjoying catching up with the family.


Bo (Katie's boyfriend) and Katie catching up with the family.


Uncle Roger, Dad, and Uncle Bobby enjoying their time golfing.

Who's the Best Golfer?


Nate and I visiting with everyone.


Aunt Nancy cooking another YUMMY meal!


Mindy and Uncle Bobby playing Cribbage
(with the rest of the family in the background playing cards or Solitaire)


Katie, Grandma, and I teaching Nate how to play King's Corners



Mindy, Me, Grandma, and Mom just back from taking Mindy to David's Bridal to try on wedding dresses. I'll admit, Mindy twisted my arm and I tried on a few myself. It was lots of fun, but I'm going to wait to do this again until Nate actually proposes. I just felt a little fraudish trying on dresses when I wasn't really a bride-to-be. Oh, well, Mindy had lots of fun and even found the dress she eventually bought!


At the end of the weekend I was sad to see everyone go as I'd had a great time and knew it would be a while before we would see each other again. But, family is family and we love each other no matter how long it is between getting together. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment