October 12, 2009

Visiting WSU - Happy Birthday Dad!

For my Dad's birthday, back in September, I bought a group of us WSU football tickets. Work was sponsoring a trip up to Pullman that was such a great deal I couldn't pass it up. For a mere $45 we got the bus ride to Pullman, tickets into the game, snacks on the ride up, and a pizza dinner for the ride home. It was a steal! So Dad, Mom, Nate, Nate's friend Scott (who was a fun addition to the group), and I hopped on the bus (or hopped as much as one can do at 8am on a Saturday) and headed up to Pullman. I was particularly looking forward to the trip as it's been a year since I've been back. And oh, my gosh the changes that have been made.




First up. Who decided that college student's needed a full-service restaurant on campus? The Doopus Boomer Restaurant (named after a cartoon character famous for describing the Hanford site life) was a place that could have been plopped in the middle of any decent-sized city and made a decent business. Yummy food (the chili bread bowl was EXCELLENT!), good beer, and pretty good service all available to those that have no problem drinking Bush Light from a key and having leftover cold pizza for breakfast.



The biggest thing that got me was comparing this upscale restaurant to what we had when I was on campus. A normal campus dining hall, Taco Bell, and Burger King. Does this look like Taco Bell? I know Scott was making fun of me for the many times I said that, but holy hannah, it was such a change! Some of the other big things I noticed were greatly widened sidewalks (where once two or three could walk abreast it was now ten or so), The Bookie being in the CUB and the old Bookie spot being a bus stop, I would have sworn that there was a great big gazebo or building missing from next door to Bryan Hall, the steep hill that went in front of Todd Hall to the Stephenson Towers was now alternating steps and ramps (which means no more watching Freshman slide down that path due to the wrong choice of shoewear for snow covered, heated sidewalks), the Todd Hall coffee cart now being a coffee corner, and great big wall coverings in Todd Hall talking about how awesome the business school was. I spent many a year in Todd Hall so these changes were most apparent. It was also fun showing Nate around campus so that he could see where I was molded into whom I am today! Okay, totally cheesy but I did enjoy showing him around. Including making him understand that I really did mean uphill, both ways, in the snow and wasn't just pulling his leg. :-)



The other really neat thing about heading up to Pullman was that I got to meet up with two sorority sisters (Sabrina and Stephanie) whom I haven't seen in, literally, years. I think I last saw Stephanie at graduation in 2002 and Sabrina at Aleisha's wedding in 2003? It felt so good to see them, give them a great big hug, and catch up on both old and new times. One of the biggest changes, simple as it is, was seeing Sabrina with short hair. And by short, I mean above the shoulder. For as long as I can remember it was long and thick to easily go into a ponytail. But the new look is just adorable (and sexy!). I enjoyed catching up with my girls so much that Nate had to literally drag me away so that we could go into the stadium to watch the game (our original intent!).

As you can see we had pretty decent seats. We didn't win the game (it's a rebuilding season people, two more to go) but it was fun watching Nate and Scott get into it. Two big records were made. The first being the longest touchdown run/pass in the school's history (99 yards) and the second being the only time we've ever seen a penalty against the kicker for running up to the first down line and then punting the ball away. Nothing dull with our Cougars.

In the end, we had a fun (albeit cold!) day. I got to hang out with my brother (who's currently going to school there), show Nate my old stomping ground, catch up with my sorority sisters, and celebrate my Dad's birthday. A great ending to a fun Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. I had many fun. Thank you so much for sharing the experience with me. In all fairness all we had was Taco Bell, Burger King, Panda Express and Blimpie. If our MU turned into yours, I'd be a little ticked too.

    ReplyDelete