May 22, 2010

Happy 90th Birthday, Grandma!

On May 22, 2010 my Grandmother acheived a rarely obtained goal. She celebrated her 90th birthday!!! The day was extra special because instead of just celebrating with her siblings, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren the whole family got invited. Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, First Cousins Once Removed, Second Cousins, Brothers, Sisters, Children, Grandchildren, Great-Grandchildren, Neighbors, and Friends. My Auntie Sue's house, where the party was hosted, was brimming with people in every room that you wondered in to. At one point in time I looked around and realized that the 'old' people were sprawled in the kitchen, dining room, and living room eating lunch while the 'young' people were crammed and smashed onto the deck around two tiny tables that fit a third of those that were there. Just funny how everyone segregated themselves.

The day was also made a little more special due to Aunt Genie and Cousins Stacy and Kayla. See, my Mom's side of the family was always known for getting together and playing instruments. Guitar, piano, trumpet, harmonica you name it. And singing was a requirement that everyone joined in on. But as time went by, and especially with the death of my Granfather back in 1992, signing and music has slowly been going by the wayside of our get togethers. Sure, Auntie Sue will occasionally burst into song but there aren't the living room sing alongs anymore. Gosh, I just realized how much I miss those moments. Anyway, back to the point. These three ladies brought song and music back to our gatherings! They created the cutest song and strummed their guitars while they sang about my Grandma, getting older, and being loved. I wish I could remember the exact words but the song contained both sweet and funny moments. I really think Grandma got a kick out of this.

The other special time of the weekend was just getting the family together again. With Uncle Bobby and Aunt Nancy living in Roseburg, OR, Auntie Sue and Uncle Roger living in Kirkland, WA, and my parents in West Richland, WA it's hard to get the entire family together at one time. Between everyone there's my grandmother, three children and their spouses, nine grandchildren and their spouses, and three great-grandchildren for a total of 28 people. That's a decent amount to get around the kitchen table all at once. :-)

The funny part is that this year I'll probably see this side of the family more than I've seen them in the last five years. Between Nate and I getting married, my Granma's 90th birthday party, and Mindy and Derrick's wedding (cousins) we'll have seen each other three times in three months! And that's not including the holiday season, the camping trips, and the graduations. Family is awesome!

Well, grandma, thanks for the fun weekend and I'm looking forward to the 95th birthday bash! I love you!


Auntie Sue, Uncle Bobby, Mom, and Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment