September 11, 2011

September 11, 2001

Ten years ago today, I was working out with Nicki Nikodym and Krista Lowe at Washington State University's (WSU) fitness center. Nicki and I were running around the track when we noticed that a number of students were gathering around the TV in the lounge area. Each time we went around it seemed as if more and more kids were gathering. Finally, we decided to check out for ourselves what was going on. That's when we learned that a plane had hit the World Trade Center (WTC)  and it was a pretty awful scene. After a few minutes of watching the news coverage we went back to our sorority house (Sigma Kappa) to get ready for classes. While getting ready we suddenly heard some sisters talking about how a second plane had hit the WTC and newscasters were now starting to talk about how this wasn't an accident but perhaps some type of attack. Finally, the talk cemented and it was acknowledged that we were under attack from terrorists.

I remember being so confused and scared about what was going on. Everything seemed to be happening in the East Coast, but even over a thousand miles away I didn't feel secure. It was like the safe, happy college world of carefree days and little to no responsibility were taken from me in an single moment. I went off to my E-Commerce class even though I didn't want to miss any of the news coverage, but (being the good student) also didn't want to miss class. I was really disappointed when our professional said that the university has decided to continue classes as usual and except for breaks the TVs weren't to be on. So I spent an hour trying to pay attention and figuring out if I should skip the rest of classes that day or continue. When I got out of class my decision was made for me. Krista met me at the door saying that my sister, Katie, had called and really wanted to talk to me.

The next hour or so was spent trying to convince my sister that Dad wasn't going to be called up to active duty, go to war, and die.

See, my Dad is a Marine. While he's now USMC, Retired at the time he was in the Reserves. As Dad was gone during Desert Storm we both knew that with these terrorist actions war was probably a likely outcome, and since my Dad is very much a Marine if he was called to defend his country he would willingly go and serve. While we didn't truly understand about the possibility of death during Dad's Desert Storm service (I was 11 and Katie 8) we both remember what it was like not having him at home for almost a year. I think growing up we were both affected (both good and bad) by this. So the possibility of having our (sorry Dad!) older, bad knees, slower running, out of active duty for a long time Father go to fight a young man's war was really, really scary. Having to console my sister while she was a Senior in high school (who should be feeling immortal and like the world was in the palm of her hands) was not something I ever wanted to do. But we got through that phone call and little by little we got through the day, and then the next, and then the next.

I think being in the Pacific Northwest meant that we felt the overall feeling of being scared during the events but we truly couldn't understand the horror of what the people on the airplanes, in the Towers, in the Pentagon, and on the streets in those areas felt that day. Seeing the news footage and pictures brings it a little closer to home, but I will admit that I was glad for the distance. The real fear from this day didn't come to me until almost seven years later when my brother, also a Marine, was activated to duty for Iraqi Freedom and spent almost a year de-bombing IEDs, capturing 'bad guys', and trying to weed out terrorists from Iraq. Regardless of your feelings for America being in Iraq my brother was there because of 9/11 and I feared for his safety every single day he was gone. I thank God he returned to us with a healthy body and sane mind as I know that many did not.

Today, as I look back over the last ten years I see both good and back that came from the affects of 9/11. I see a larger government presence (which I don't believe is a good thing) but I also see a country that came together to celebrate life instead of falling apart by focusing on the death and destruction of that day. I know a lot of people are trying to explain to their children what this day meant and means for our country and I'm glad I don't have to do that yet. How do you explain evil to innocence? How do you explain horror and fear to someone who only knows about playgrounds and ice cream?

What I know is that I'm thankful for all the men and women who were heroes the day of 9/11 in trying to save others' lives and I'm thankful to the men and women who were heroes by defending on country both on American soil and foreign. This day will be a day that I, and my family, will always remember and will never forget. I hope to have the wisdom to teach Abby (and any other future children we may be blessed with) what it means to be an American, how you can't let bad people try to destroy what you hold dear, and how the best way to win is to come together and rejoice in what you still have.

To all who lost their lives this day and in the war days after, I honor you.

No comments:

Post a Comment