On Tuesday, December 27th (the Tuesday after Christmas) the Akers' side of the family celebrated Christmas together. It was a fun-filled day full of relatives. My parents went to Seattle and brought back both of my Grandmothers (Grandma and Bestamor - which is Norwegian for Grandmother). Abby and I came over after we'd gotten up for the day and Nate joined us at lunch after working a half day. It was nice that the hustle and bustle of the actual holiday day had passed and we were able to just sit back and enjoy each other's company without having to worry about the next planned event as this was the last one!
The house was filled with talk and laughter in every corner as we had Dad, Mom, Katie, her boyfriend Bo, her daughter Haylee, David, his girlfriend Danielle, Grandma, Bestamor, Nate, Abby, and myself. There were times the house was so loud with conversations flowing over and around each other that we had to shout to be heard. :-) It was a great family get-together!
Opening presents with Abby went pretty much the same as the Carstens'. Abby was happy opening up her first present then got a bit overwhelmed by all that was going on. So she went to her own little spot and played with Nate and a few bows and ribbons and had a great time. Nate opened up her presents and would place them in front of her and sometimes she'd be intrigued enough to check them out and other times she'd ignore it completely (only to be entertained by the gift later). I think we learned that having her open her presents this year wasn't a good idea. Playing around with what caught her attention kept her much happier. Note for next year!
All in all the day was really a fun family day. As I'm getting older I'm finding the magic of Christmas again. I don't know if it's because I'm experiencing it through Abby's eyes, if it's because I'm old enough to focus on the fun of giving and Christ's birth instead of the cost and effort, or if it's just the cycle of Christmas I'm in but I'm really enjoying this Christmas season. I'm looking forward to next year's Christmas season celebration!
 |
| The pretty tree and gifts before we started opening them. |
 |
| Abby sharing her cookie with Maddie. |
 |
| My happy girl! |
 |
| Haylee helping Mom and Katie hand out Christmas presents. |
 |
| Abby and Haylee opening their stockings. |
 |
| Abby opening her gift from Nate and I. |
 |
| Mom wearing Haylee's new bike helmet. Mom though the helmet was too funny and got a kick out of wearing it. Yes, we're funny this way. |
 |
| Nate opening Abby's presents while she plays nearby. |
 |
| David and Danielle opening gifts. |
 |
| Grandma and Bestamor were like two hens in a hen house. They talked the entire time we were opening presents! |
 |
| Dad and Bo watching the action. |
 |
| Haylee and Abby love each other! Haylee is fantastic at playing with (watching) Abby while the adults talk. |
 |
| The aftermath of present opening. |
No comments:
Post a Comment