Another really awesome aspect of visiting Taiwan is that we would get to see Tim Kuo again. Tim was a foreign exchange student that lived with Nate's parents for two years while attending his Junior and Senior years of high school, then stuck around in the Portland area for another seven or so years earning his Bachelor's degree at Oregon State and then his pilot license. Dave and Linda consider him a second son and I got to get to know him pretty well from all the trips that we took to Nate's parents. Due to his military obligations (Taiwan has mandatory service for all boys) Tim eventually hit his time limit for living in the US and had to move back to Taiwan to fulfill his military obligations. I suppose that his family probably missed him, too. :-) It had been about two or so years since we'd seen him last, I think.
So anyhoo. We're going to Taiwan! Officially this trip took a while to get into the 'definitely going' category. Since Nate was going for work purposes we had to wait for his dates to teach to be confirmed before we could book his tickets, then we had to wait for his company to actually book the tickets, next we had to decide when we wanted our family vacation to be (by this time we knew we wanted after he'd finished up his business portion but the actual dates were still loosey-goosey), but finally we were able to book our tickets (including my parents!). There was talk back and forth about whether to invite my parents or not. On the one hand we are a family of three and don't always need to include my parents (of whom my Mom LOVES to travel) even if we go to exotic places, but on the other hand if they didn't go it would be just me with Abby for the entire flight there and back. (Even if we got on the same flight as Nate coming back he would still have been in First Class while we'd have been in Coach.) The option to have help on the plane was what won over the decision to invite my parents along for the trip. At first it was just Mom who was excited but as the date got closer and closer you could tell Dad was getting pretty into this trip as well.
The day to leave finally arrived. And, boy, what a whirlwind that was. Our flight out of Pasco wasn't until 8:20pm so I decided to pack up my stuff the night before and pack Abby's the morning of since I could easily pack my suitcase while she was asleep but wanted to hold off on her stuff until I could pack everything at once (and she still needed stuff for morning and her nap the next day). When I helped Nate pack it was super easy. I entertained Abby while he packed and then I ran errands during the day while he worked for whatever else he needed. When I was packing for the two of us it was trying to pack, while keeping Abby entertained away from the suitcases, as well as running the various errands for things we needed. A bit of effort but I eventually got everything we needed into the suitcases.
| The morning we left for Taiwan Abby woke up in such a good mood. She so sweetly asked me for "Mac an cheese pease" for breakfast. I simply couldn't refuse the cuteness. |
That night Abby was totally excited about going to the airport and watching for the planes as they came in. Since the Pasco airport is pretty small there's not a ton of people in the building so we were able to find a couple deserted sections to jump around in which helped get out the wiggles. Soon enough we boarded the plane and began our adventure! I was hoping Abby would fall sleep for the quick portion of the trip to give her some renewed energy for our five hour layover in Seattle, but alas she was so excited about being on the plane, and seeing the lights, and pointing things out to me that she didn't get any sleep whatsoever.
| Abby thought the carseat carrier that we used to roll her carseat around with was a fantastic stroller. |
| She felt like such a big girl when pushing and pulling her stroller and put up a good fuss if we tried to take it away from her. |
| Yep, she fits! |
| Sitting pretty on the flight from Pasco to Seattle. |
| Abby found a friend to play with in the Seattle Kid's Play Area. |
| She LOVED the slide. She'd slide down and immediately start jumping for joy at the bottom. |
Abby had made a couple peeps and the guy sitting next to me thought that Abby was waking up so he woke me up. Which was kind of him considering he thought I might sleep through it, but my Abby makes noises while sleeping so it was actually another hour before she woke up. That was okay as I grabbed a couple of munchies and read a bit more of my book. I'll spare the long drawn-out details of the flight (I know, I know this is already a long post so I've missed that mark) and instead give an overview. For the next five hours I tried my best to keep Abby entertained with the various games I'd bought her, various movies I'd brought with us, walking her up and down the aisles, and having my Mom walk up and down the aisles with her. Dad was funny as the times I asked my parents for help he'd immediately turn to my Mom and say "Trish, it's your turn.". :-) Finally, it was nap time so I grabbed my Ergo and walked to the bulkhead with the exit door and I stood and rocked her until she fell asleep. While I was happy she'd conked out again, after the first hour my feet and back were feeling the lack of shoes and the extra weight. But I soldiered on and Abby got in a good two hour nap. Then it was back to our seats for the last hour of the flight.
| My sleeping beauty. |
In previous foreign travels my Mom and I would spend weeks going over travel books and planning our itinerary. Even when we booked through a tour (as we did in Scotland) we still researched the places we'd be visiting to have an idea of what we'd see and what else we could see during free time. However, prior to the Taiwan trip Mom and Dad were recovering from various injuries and working overtime so they weren't able to do any sort of research and I was helping Abby recover from sickness and doing general Stay-at-Home-Mom stuff so I didn't have a lot of time either. When we were in touch with Tim and his sister, Grace, they kept saying "Don't worry we'll take care of it". Two weeks before the trip we confirmed that we'd be staying at Tim's parents house in Linkou, Taiwan. Grace also emailed us a rough draft itinerary but said that we shouldn't worry as her Mom would take care of us. (Warning. Spoiler Alert!: When they said they'd take care of us, they weren't kidding! They REALLY took care of all the details of this trip and made it the fantastic trip that it was. More on this later.)
So here we were at the customs booth when the guy asked us the address of the place we were staying and we realized we had no idea. We had no idea where we were staying! Then he asked us to just put down the phone number of the place we were staying and we had to scramble to find an email that had Grace's work number. Seriously? We traveled 20 hours to a different continent and had no idea of the contact information of the people we were meeting up with. Yeah. Stupid. But we fully trusted the "we'll take care of it" mantra. As we walked out of customs we were joking about hoping that someone was waiting for us at the main arrival entrance as we had no idea how to get in touch with anyone should no one be there. But, we turned a corner and there was Tim! Our family vacation to Taiwan was officially beginning!
Continued...




No comments:
Post a Comment