November 1, 2013

Cowboy/Cowgirl Campout Days 2013

Abby's preschool doesn't celebrate Halloween (as the church that they are affiliated with doesn't) so instead they have a Cowboy/Cowgirl Campout Days week where the kids come dressed up as cowboys and cowgirls and do cowboy themed activities. Abby was really excited when I told her that she got to wear her cowgirl outfit to school that day and was very mindful in telling me (in a loud voice over and over again) to not forget her hat. :-) When we got to the school there was a saddle all set up to take pictures with. Abby scrambled right up and said "take picture"!

All dressed up for a fun day at school.
After dropping her off in her classroom I began the mad dash of errands. Kind of funny story in that I must have told myself ten times to not forget to bring a pumpkin that day so Abby could participate in the pumpkin exchange but what did I forget at home? Yep, the pumpkin. Since I wanted her to be able to participate but didn't know if any extra pumpkins had been put out I headed out to the grocery store to pick up the cheapest, yet cutest, pumpkin I could find. I then drove back to the school and chucked it over the fence. :-) Okay, I didn't actually hurl it over with great force but I did pull up along side the area where the pumpkins were being exchanged and gently tossed it over the fence instead of walking all. the. way. around to the other side where the gate was as I was too short to reach over the fence.

When I picked Abby up a bit later we were walking towards the pumpkin patch when the second funny happened that day. We walked through the gate and Abby pointed at a scarecrow and asked "what's this?" which is her new favorite phrase. I replied "that's a scarecrow. Farmers put them in their fields to...scare....crows." (And then I thought to myself "Huh. I never thought that that's how scarecrows got their name. They scare crows. Duh." I'm telling you Mommy brain is a scary, scary thing.)

As soon as Abby saw the old fashioned tractor she raced right for it to give it a try. After turning the wheel and bouncing up and down a few times we got off and picked out a pumpkin to take home. (I made sure to not get the pumpkin that we brought because I figured I'd gone through some effort to do the exchange so an exchange was definitely going to happen.) I commend her teachers and the school for a great idea and a great day. Abby had a lot of fun and was even a bit disappointed the next week when she raced inside the school to find out that she couldn't take her picture next to the saddle.

Trying out an old fashioned tractor.

1 comment:

  1. Mike & Kathy White
    Kennewick, WA
    mikeywhite@charter.net
    kacin@charter.net

    Nate & Teresa,

    We got your snail mail letter today. Great Taiwan trip! You should have gotten our snail mail letter by now. Please respond with your email address so we can email it next year.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete