June 10, 2009

Work Troubles

Lately work has been causing many stomach-aches and headaches as I try to navigate what my job will be like in the next few months. Basically I'm looking at working super hard for the next three months with the looming prospect that after all that hard work I'll be laid off. I work for a company that's in charge of cleaning up the Hanford site. Per Department of Energy requirements every ten or so years the contract that determines which company gets the Hanford clean-up work is rebid. That means that every ten years you have a company change over. We're currently in the midst of the most recent contract/company transition. I'm also in a unique position in that the company that pays me is not the company that I work for. Company A, the company that pays me, subcontracts me out to Company B, the company that is currently undergoing the contract transition.

Well, Company B no longer wants to subcontract out work to Company A. Which means that if Company A wants me I'll be directly hired. Great, right? Um, no. See to save costs the rumor going around is that Company A is not going to transfer our benefits that we currently have (like they're doing for the other employees) they'll hire us as brand new employees. This means that my vacation balance gets reset to zero, my service date will be reset to the date of hire, and my seven years of seniority in the company will be reset to zero years. All that hard hours and years worked will disappear in a second so that Company B can save a few bucks. Needless to say I'm not very happy about this.

So for the next few months I'm hoping that rumors are wrong, that continuity of service 'stuff'' will transfer over without resetting, and that the new company realizes that employees like me are just as valuable as the other employees on the contract. By August 24th, come heck or high water, I guess I'll find out what my job situation is like. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

3 comments:

  1. just remember you can only control what you do. keep working hard and you will be rewarded. companies are always looking for a rockstar! ROCK ON!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure who left the comment, but thank you for reminding me that hard work is rewarded. I've been forgetting that lately and don't like the new attitude that's been taking over. I'll be working on that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been working for a contractor the last few years, so I completely understand how that is. Frustrating at times to say the least. I've done mostly short term projects (one to several months) and so, finding a new project is also something I'm familiar with. Being with one contractor longer sounds like it carries its own difficulties. I would suggest weighing the companies decisions in light of basic morality and then of Catholic social teaching. Pray about it. Talk to someone with authority at the company. If they're not the type of company that exhibits basic human decency (to say nothing of Christian decency), you probably don't want to work for them anyway. God will provide.

    ReplyDelete