On Friday we drove up to Skamania Lodge, which is outside of Stevenson, WA. When we got there I was immediately impressed by the lodge itself. Out of the middle of nowhere there was suddenly this massive wooden structure with lights all aglow. When you walked inside the first thing I spotted was the fireplace cracking away. Ah, the smell of campfire in the fall. I really missed out on a few camping trips this year (all-day sickness didn't leave much time for driving and hanging out) so it was an awesome smell to be smelling. We got checked in and headed up to our rooms and basically decided that it was a room service for dinner type of night. After eating a yummy dinner we both intended to pass out. What ended up happening is that Nate passed out and I lay in bed for the next hour trying to subtly shake him to stop the snoring without actually waking him up. An hour later I gave up and decided I would play on my iPhone. It was sort of evil of me but everytime he snored I'd point the phone in his direction so the light shown on him and wave the phone back and forth for a mini light show. Hee! After another hour of this I got bored and figured I'd read my magazine (lights on and all - hee hee!). Well, he woke up (no surprise there) and, after explaining why I had the lights on, he decided that he'd play his phone games until I fell asleep in the hopes that I would at least pass out for a bit. Two hours later I finally stopped the light sleeping/waking up routine and fell into deep sleep. Thank goodness!!! When we both woke up the next day it wasn't exactly the refreshed feeling we both wanted, but overall had been in bed for 14 hours so it made sense to get up.
Our Saturday was spent having a yummy brunch, hiking in the woods (I was able to go 2.5 miles of uphill and downhill!), goofing off in the pool, and driving in to Edgefield to have dinner McMenamins (Nate's favorite brewery). By the end of the day I was COMPLETELY exhausted. In fact, I was close to done after the hike but really wanted to get in the water instead of taking a nap or something. Funny thing I found out, though, was that when in the water if I wasn't in an upright position I'd get really sea sick. Here I thought I could just float away on my back, but every time I did so I wanted to hurl. :-) Nate had a bit of fun with this for a while, but overall was a good sport in keeping me upright.
On Sunday we woke up and headed down for the hotel's breakfast buffet which turned out to be a Champagne Brunch. Oh, how I missed the mimosas! Nate had two for me, though. Great guy that he is. After stuffing ourselves with yummy food, we checked out of the hotel and decided to stop by the Columbia River Interpretive Center. Basically it talked about the history of Lewis and Clark Expidition upon reaching the Columbia River up to present times. It was pretty darn interesting. From Indian artifacts to old fashioned chain saws to household goods. There was something for both Nate and I to be interested in.
One of the displays that I thought was really interesting was this Russian gentleman's rosary collection. Here is a picture of me standing in front of one of ten rosary displays. You'll see that behind me are oodles and oodles of rosaries in all shapes and sizes. It was interesting seeing all the materials used to make all the different styles. Very neat.
After finishing the Exhibition Center we drove home and basically collapsed on the couch. It was a great weekend, one that we both admit was needed, but we were also glad to be home. Even at the end of my second trimester moving is tougher, long trips are harder, and by golly there's just no place like home. Overall, we'd definitely recommend Skamania Lodge (with the caveat that while the rooms are nice they're not extra special). If you end up visiting, I hope you have as great of a time as we did!
Outside the Exhibition Center




No comments:
Post a Comment