October 21, 2012

Visiting the Gassend Family: Day 4/5

Our 4th day with the Gassends was a day of rest and relaxation. After two big outings back to back both families were looking forward to a bit more down time (and I'm sure the kids were looking forward to less car traveling time). We decided that our big 'to do' for the day would be to visit the local YMCA to get in a swim. As it's close to $90 PER MONTH for the family to join (my goodness California prices are high!) Blaise and Valerie just pay per visit so we expected to pay about $30 for Nate, Abby, and I to swim for the hour or so that we planned to be there. Fortunately for us the YMCA has a "first visit free" policy so we got a cheap swim out of the deal. :-) It was fun watching Abby blow bubbles, float on the pool floaties, and swish through the water. Nate even threw her into the air and caught her just below she went under a few times which she found to be hilarious. It wasn't too long, though, before we were forcing her to stay in the water when she just wanted to hang out with the toys on the side, so Abby and I got out to get dressed and find another area to play in while Nate stayed behind to chat with Blaise.

My Abby was so funny in the locker room. She's been interested in "going potty" lately, which for her means that she sits fully clothed on the big or little kid's toilet, waits a few seconds, wipes, then declares herself all done while we praise her. Well, while we were in the locker room I got her out of her swimsuit and then, when she danced out of my reach, figured I'd give her some naked time while I got dressed. A few seconds later I hear "potty, potty" and look over to see Abby standing there peeing. In a split second I decided to just mop up the puddle instead of running with her in outstretched arms while she peed trying to find a toilet. After she was finished she walked towards the toilets herself and asked to get on where she then sat and waited a bit, then wiped and declared herself all done. :-) She's a little out of order, but I think our potty training time is fast approaching!

After cleaning the floor up and finishing getting the two of us dressed I had myself a good scare. I was trying to pack up and get my hair in some semblance of order and figured that Abby could walk towards the door of the locker room without me since I knew she'd just turn back around to me. Well, after about 30 seconds had gone by and she still hadn't returned I decided to peek around the corner and make sure she wasn't standing where the door could hit her if it suddenly opened  Imagine my surprise when I didn't see a door but an open exit into the main area of the building!!! I totally forgot that the locker room didn't have a door on it! I made a mad dash out into the hallway and was very happy to see Abby enjoying a climb onto one of the exercise bikes. Whew. Okay, two mom fails in a row. Time to leave!

Just as we were heading out to play Nate found us and we decided to instead go for lunch. Abby was a sweetheart and fell asleep in the five minute or so ride, so Nate and I grabbed lunch at In-n-Out Burgers (Nate had never been!) and found a nearby park where we sat and ate while Abby napped. When we were finished we drove home and then I hung out in the car while Abby continued sleeping and Nate went inside to take a nap himself. Turns out that Valerie and Sophie (who had decided not to join us for swimming) also were napping, so it was an all round very relaxing afternoon. Once the naps were over and the kids were up it was off to a local playground to get out the wiggles.

Their playground equipment had a rock theme to everything. I thought it was a pretty cool way to do stairs that were more than just stairs.

Abby waiting for Sophie to come down the slide.

Took a bit to get the hang of the rock climbing 'wall' but she was pretty proud of herself when she got to the top.

Going down the slide together facing one way...

..and then facing another way.

Interesting twist on the child's swing. They had 'normal' ones that had holes for baby's legs to go through and then this contraption where the bar come down and locked into place. Abby was not a fan. :-)

After the park we basically hung out, ate dinner, put the kids to bed, and then had some adult conversation and game time before it became apparent through the many yawns that it was time to go to bed. This night ended up being a little different than we were used to as when we walked into the bedroom Abby promptly woke up and ended up falling back to sleep in bed with us. (I think we'd gotten the room a little too cold for her.) I don't remember the last time she slept with us, maybe June when we were all in the same room at Nate's parent's house? It was a little sad thinking back to that might because I remember holding her in my arms while she breathed that deep baby breathing and desperately trying to remember the last time we'd fallen asleep like that. It really is true that you need to cherish your memories because you really don't know when THAT moment is the last moment. :-) However, all mushiness aside...I remember now why we put her in her own room when we did. It's hard sleeping with a baby in the bed! I couldn't move when I wanted to and she had me twisted in a semi-uncomfortable position all night long. Ahh, the joys of motherhood. 

Day 5 with the Gassend family was all too soon as that alarm clock went off way earlier than I wanted. Blaise was kind enough to drive us to the airport again and this time the drive was much better with fewer cars and no traffic jams. We soon discovered that flying with a baby has its perks. The security line lady saw us and motioned for us to join her up front. So our intended 20+ minute wait was closer to 2. Yeah, Abby! Within the hour we were on board the plane, Abby was asleep in my arms, Nate was asleep across the aisle (barely half-full plane!), and we were on our way home. 

It was a lovely visit with all the Gassends. It was neat hearing all the college stories (some new, some just as funny on the retelling), fun seeing how Jonathan had changed and meeting Sophie, and a great little family vacation thrown in. Hopefully it won't be two years before we see them again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment