November 8, 2014

Veteran's Day Parade

One of our local towns held a Veteran's Day Parade on the Saturday before Veteran's Day. As Nate was out of town for work, I thought Abby and I would have fun getting out of the house and passing some time together. Dad was also out of town that weekend so Mom (who originally invited us) rounded out our trio. 

The 21-Gun Salute to honor those we have lost. 

I mentioned that there was going to be a loud bang and Abby immediately put her hands to her ears and refused to remove them until the Honor Guard walked back toward the sidewalk. 

Grabbing candy that's been thrown our way. 
Clapping for the cheerleaders. She raised her hands with them a few times but I never could capture it on camera.

What is up with this sassy stance?

Waving to the fire trucks. 
Enjoying the vaulting demonstration. Many, many years ago I vaulted, too! My biggest triumph was doing a handstand while my horse was walking! My how the ab muscles have changed. :-)

Abby was so sweet! She noticed that these kids didn't get some candy from a recent throw so she took candy from her own stash and walked it down to them to put in their candy baskets. :-) My Mommy heart just melted. Of course, a few candy throws later and all the kids were walking back and forth and trading, but the original thought was there!

And...someone's done.
The parade was a fun way to spend a Saturday morning. We parked just a little up the street and only about 15 minutes before the parade started and got great seats! Abby did fantastic playing in the greenbelt behind us before the parade started and towards the end when she was tired of watching. At the hour and a half mark Mom and I looked at each other and decided she was done, we were done, so it was time to go. We ended up leaving only about 10 minutes early so we didn't miss much. The parade was a nice way to show support in our own special way to the many men and women who have served our country. As a Marine Corps family we especially enjoyed the Marines and Young Marines that participated. Thank you to all who have served!

No comments:

Post a Comment