I enjoy helping out with Abby's preschool, but I've also helped out a lot this year. :-) So when a note went out from Abby's teacher requesting that the parents work together to figure out a craft, two games, and snacks for the preschool Christmas party I decided to step back and let some other parent step up and have fun. (I figured that after helping at field trips, Halloween, and Thanksgiving I had achieved the "parent helps out at preschool" level quite well.) But two weeks after the original note went out there was still not a single parent signed up to help create/assist with the party. So I decided to sign up for a game and figured that might get the ball rolling for other parents. I will fully admit here on my blog that I was disappointed in my fellow parents when another week went by and only one other person had signed up (and that was a general "I'll help" instead of actually signing up for something). There are 16 kids in this class! I know that parents work, and all aren't able to physically be in the room with the kids, but I KNOW that people were available to put together something little and drop it off on the day of the party. :-( It ended up that two days before the actual party was scheduled a few other parents volunteered to help - two to be in the classroom with me helping out with the two games and craft, and one to bring in snacks but not able to stay - but I still ended up signing up for a game and the craft and working with Ms. Amy for a second game that they had in storage.) But once the actual party day arrived everything was a success!
 |
| For their craft they made silhouette nativity scenes from this Pinterest pin Stained Glass Nativity Craft. There was a little bit of panic as I discovered that while the student sheet Abby had listed 13 students there were actually 16 in her class. I am so, so thankful I made extras just in case one ripped as we ended up needing those extras! |
 |
| Here is the snowman marshmallow toss game I created. The first go round we had the kids just stand in front and drop the marshmallows in, but as pretty much every marshmallow made it in we decided to make it just a bit harder. |
 |
| So we grabbed a step stool and got them up a bit higher. That made it a little more challenging and, in my opinion based on their giggles, a little more fun for the kids as well. |
 |
| Our second game, courtesy of Ms. Amy, was pin the nose on Rudolph. Abby stood very patiently while getting her blind fold on... |
 |
| ...then grabbed a quick peek to see where Rudolph's nose should go. :-) |
 |
| Amazingly enough she put Rudolph's nose right where it was supposed to go. LOL! |
I will totally admit that I was a little put out in helping out at this Christmas party at first because I just wasn't feeling the "volunteering spirit" right off the bat. But I'm so thankful I did end up volunteering because I had a lot of fun finding a game and craft, actually putting them together (thanks to Jessica L. for helping me cut out the many, many pieces for the silhouettes!), and enjoying time being with Abby!
No comments:
Post a Comment