September 8, 2015

First Day of K-4 Preschool

Abby's first day of K-4 preschool (and also her last year of preschool) began today. She's still at Imagination Studios because we fell in love with the school last year, but is now going five mornings a week. Her co-teachers this year are Ms. Shawna and Ms. Addie. Abby has been VERY excited for school to start and asked all weekend long when her teachers would be coming to her house and was so confused when I kept reminding her that she'd be going to school. It was as if she couldn't comprehend why her teachers wouldn't want to come to her house to hang out before the school year started. :-)

First Day of School Picture 

Showing off her special butterfly clip.

Being a sillypants while taking pictures.

My movie star already for her fans. :-)

On the drive over to preschool (and after a slightly tough morning where a little someone wasn't quite used getting up and having to get moving) Abby asked if I was going to come into her room with her. I totally stumbled through an answer of how much I love her and how much fun she's going to have with her teachers this year and how she's such a big girl that I don't think she'll need me in the room but that I will stay for a bit if she really needs it (thinking she was starting to have a tough time with the thought of leaving me after a summer together). Boy, was I wrong. Her immediate response when I stopped talking was "Good. Because I don't want you there." Sheesh. Talk about a harsh truth! LOL.

When we got to her classroom we hung up her coat and backpack and then she hopped and skipped into her room without giving me a backward glance. I followed because girl was going to give me a goodbye hug whether she wanted to or not! She'd snuggled into the reading corner and was busily looking at a book when I disturbed her zen moment for my hug and kiss. After catching up with her school's principal I snuck a peek back into the classroom to check on her and found she'd happily moved to playing with playdough. I was very happy to see that she was busy doing her thing and wasn't upset to be back in school and away from me (though she never has been before).


Picture in front of her school.

Her zen moment of reading. 

After a WONDERFUL morning spent catching up with friends and running child-free errands, I picked her up to smiles and nonstop chatter about how cool and awesome her day was. Her teachers said she'd had a wonderful first day which I was happy to hear. Her former teacher (Ms. Amy) caught me in the hallway to tell me a funny story about how Abby had done her typical monkeybars monkey routine and put her legs through the rings and then hung upside down. Ms. Shawna, not used to Abby's athletic adventures, had startled and gotten worried that Abby would fall so made her get down. Ms. Amy had a good laugh telling me how Ms. Shawna would soon get used to how Abby rolled while Abby got a disgruntled look on her face and grouchily exclaimed how Ms. Shawna didn't need to worry because Abby didn't fall.

The ring bars of death!

Filling our her "My First Day of School" book.


We are off to a fantastic start to the school year! The "get ready every day" thing has me a little concerned right now, but I know from past experience that I will find this a blessing as the year goes by and will look forward to all the opportunities that Abby (and I) will have by her having five-day a week preschool.

No comments:

Post a Comment