Abby's school hosts a kite challenge every year where students are encouraged to design and make their own kites. They can then enter them into various competitions (Principal's Favorite, Smallest, Biggest, Most School Spirit, etc) on the day of the kite flying. Nate, our resident go-to engineer, has been swamped with a work project and was unavailable to help Abby out with making her own kite. So I stepped in. Now, I'm a pretty crafty scrapbooker if I do say so myself but building a kite is a whole other bag of crafting. I ended up Googling "how to make a kite at home" and found a handy website that walked you through the steps to making a kite out of a garbage bag. I figured this would be a fun one for Abby as she'd be able to color and draw on her kite to her heart's content. It ended up being a collaborative project as she asked me to sit down and color with her as well.
On the day of the challenge I sat down to engineer the kite together and that's when Nate's engineering spirit couldn't contain itself. As I sat and worked on Abby's kite, Nate went through items in our garage and made himself another kite. :-) He's a great dad though because even though his five minute kite was far superior to the one Abby and I had made (seriously, he's got mad building skills) he had no intention of bringing his kite to the challenge because it wasn't the one that Abby made herself. It was a day with no wind and rain on the horizon, but that didn't slow us down from our first after school activity.
 |
| Trying to throw her kite up into the air. |
 |
| Racing around and getting her kite to "fly". |
 |
| Nate helping Abby fling her kite into the air. However, no one noticed that Beth was holding on to the kite string so as the kite was thrown up and then yanked back down it broke. :-( |
 |
| The school provided a kite hospital to help fix the hurt or broken kites. And there were a lot of them. LOL. |
 |
| A view of the kite challengers. |
 |
| Abby bringing her kite to a Judge for his perusal. |
At the end of the challenge the participants were asked if they would like to leave their kite with the school so they could be added to the wall displaying all the kites that were created and flown. Abby said yes (there was one minor moment that night where she was sad that she'd left her kite but felt a little better after I explained that she'd get to see her kite on the wall in the next few days). When I picked her up from school Monday, Abby came running out with great news. Her kite had won the "Most RFSE Spirit" award! I don't even care if this was a situation of a "participation award". The smile on her face when she told me she'd won an award was all that mattered.
 |
| Abby with her award standing next to her kite. |
 |
| All the (left for the school) kite's on display. |
No comments:
Post a Comment