June 24, 2009

Jon & Kate Plus 8

I'm a big fan of the show Jon & Kate Plus 8 but this season just hasn't been as much fun as previous seasons. And last night's show proved why. Turns out that Jon and Kate have been having marital troubles for the past '7 or 8 months' with it being really bad for the past '4 months' and have decided to file for legal separation. I have no idea if this is the first step to a divorce in Pennsylvania or if they are taking the separation step first to see how things go. I guess I'm just disappointed (and really, how sad is it that reality TV can disappoint me) that there wasn't any talk about counceling or trying to work on the marriage or even cancelling the show/getting out of the contract to focus on the family. It seems like now adays people hit a rough patch in the marriage and instead of following their marriage vows they throw their hands up and get a divorce.

I truly believe that the reason why there is a 50% divorce rate in America is because we've been taught from a very young age that success and goodness of life should come easy. Oh, sure, there's the saying "if you don't succeed try, try again", or "it's not winning it's the experience that's important" but when we turn around and sue people because Suzy got a B on a test it's showing Suzy that you don't really have to work at things to succeed at them, you just have to know how to beat the system. Well, the system doesn't equate to success. Hello, have you seen our government in action lately. I mean, come on. The South Carolina governor goes missing and it turns out he thought he could fly to Argentina to see his mistress without getting caught. These are the people who run the system. The system is flawed.

Or maybe the divorce rate is so high because it's so easy to get one. Irreconcilable differences and boom, you're divorced. What happened to working at marriage every day to make sure it's successful.? What happened to 50 years being a normal celebration of a married couple instead of an anomoly? More importantly, how do we get these things back?

1 comment: