April 27, 2010

Calling All Canners

I would like to start canning. I remember many summers watching my Mom can jam for the family and would like to start the tradition with Nate and I. Personally I think homemade jam is the very best there is. Plus, I'd like to make and can salsa, pickled asparagus, beans, fruits, etc just to have on hand for yummy eating. The problem is that I'm not sure what type of canner to get. I've been doing a little research and it seems that the main ones on the market are pressure canners, boiling water canners, or combination pressure canner/cookers. For those of you out there who do canning, what type of canner do you like best and why? Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I actually LOVE my steam canner. It uses less water, therefore the prep time is shorter (water comes to a boil faster and starts processing sooner). My water bath canner is my next favorite. I know you have to have a pressure cooker for some vegetables, but I avoid those. I use my camp chef so I can do my canning outdoors. It heats REALLY fast, and it keeps the heat outside. I'm so excited that you're starting to can. I love it! I'm nervous I won't be able to do as much this year with a baby due in August. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete