March 6, 2011

First Anniversary

Today Nate and I celebrated one year of marriage. My how this anniversary celebration was different than I expected. If you'd asked me on our wedding day how we'd be celebrating our first anniversary I'd have probably said that we'd take an extended weekend away at some fancy hotel or maybe even a trip to the coast or something. Basically an extravagant weekend getaway for the two of us. What we ended up doing wasn't as exciting or glamorous, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

This morning Abby and I woke up early (7:30am) and since she was so alert I figured I should wake Nate up to enjoy her wake time. So the three of us cuddled and played for an hour or so. Then we got up, showered, and dressed and went out to Sageport Grill for breakfast. Afterwards we stopped by Babies R Us to pick up diapers, wipes, bath towels, and a baby bathtub (in which I totally scored by saving over $20 with my various coupons!). Next we headed back home where we gave Abby a bath (she totally loves bath time!) and then Nate and Abby watched TV and took a nap while I worked on thank you notes. A little before 3pm we got dressed up, got Abby fed, and headed to my parent's house so that they could babysit Abby while Nate and I went out for wine and appetizers.

Since our first choice of Tagaris was closed we ended up at Bookwalter Winery for cheese fondue for 'dinner' and chocolate fondue for dessert. I also had my first glass of wine, really my first glass of anything alcoholic, since finding out I was pregnant. That first taste was heaven! I will definitely enjoy being able to partake of the sauce (in responsible quantities) again. Nate and I sat and chatted by the fire for almost two hours just reconnecting and recognizing how important the two of us as a married couple are to the success of our family of three (so far!). It was also nice having a conversation where I didn't get distracted from said conversation by Abby making noises or needing something. I was very proud of myself in that I thought of Abby and missed her but was still able to thoroughly enjoy myself even without her by my side. I would say that the first time away from Abby was a success! Granted, it'll be a bit until I'm wanting to do this again, but I'm happy to know that it should work again.

After we left Bookwalter we went back to my parents house to pick up Abby, who did just fine with being away from her parents, and headed home. Once at home we both had a slice of the top layer of our wedding cake that has been sitting in our freezer for the past year. I was pleasantly surprised at how decent it tasted. Definitely not the same as how it tasted on our wedding day, but since I was expecting cardboard and paste it was pretty darn good. Finally we worked at getting Abby to sleep and watched a bad alien movie.

All in all, the day was about as perfect as I could hope for. Not my weekend hotel getaway, but speaking truthfully this was so much better. :-) A day with my husband and my baby girl...what more could I ask for.

Heading out for our anniversary date.
First time away from Abby as well. A great night to remember!

2 comments:

  1. Congratualtions! What a wonderful way to celebrate your life....it sounds like you have lots to celebrate and I am very happy for you and your little family of three (so far:)
    Kay K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! Sounds like a good day, even if it wasn't the getaway you had imagined. :o)

    ReplyDelete