Happy birthday to me,
Happy birthday dear me,
Happy birthday to me!
I have been remiss on posting updates on this blog! The only excuse I have is a series of books by George R. R. Martin called A Song of Ice and Fire. Since I had no idea this was the actual series title you may better know these books as The Game of Thrones which is actually the first book in the series and an HBO TV series. Oh, my, goodness. These books are right up my alley: medieval setting, intrigue, murder, crimes of passion, a bit of fantasy with dragons and some magic. I started reading the first book when I had a bit of downtime and I enjoyed it so much that I quickly went back and bought the next three books in the series. I then spent all waking hours reading only pausing when Abby needed attention, the housework chores wouldn't wait, dinner needed prepped, or Nate needed attention. I went through the first four books in the series in about a week or so. I'm holding out on book five until it comes out in paperback (please don't tell me if it already has! My house needs me!) as I've already spent too much time on these books. I did watch the first episode of the TV show (our household is cable free so I have to wait until either Amazon or Netflix has shows available to be able to see them) and I'm liking it so far. I imagined the characters a little differently but as I think Sean Bean and Lena Headley are great actors/actresses I'm happy to see this version of the story play out.
Now, back to my birthday! :-) Today has been pretty great so far. My in-laws are in town and the family celebrated three birthdays at our house today. My Father-in-Law, myself, and my Grandmother-in-Law. Our birthdays are within a week of each other (FIL is March 27th, mine is April 1st, and GIL is April 3rd) so since Nate and I have been together we've celebrated these three together. My contribution to the day was actually quite a bit in hind sight (especially as I ushered in my 32nd year with a nasty cold). Two casseroles that are famously known as "Aunt Lily's Casserole", two seven-layer salads, and a German chocolate cake with coconut icing. It was my first time making this cake from scratch (not from a box mix) so I was pleased on how it turned out. It's definitely a lot of work but I'm happy to make it for special occasions. I only wish people hadn't eaten so much! I was looking forward to leftover cake tomorrow morning. :-)
I also received some very neat presents. People know how much I love to scrapbook so I got a Cricut cartridge (electronic die-cuts) and a Creative Memories gift certificate. The best present was from Nate, of course. He surprised me with tickets to see Madame Butterfly in Seattle! I've never seen this opera so I'm really, really excited. Not only an adult night out, but a fancy one at that!
All in all this was a great birth day. It's a little weird to think that I'm 32 now. I remember when my Mom turned 32 and I thought she was on the other side of ancient. Now that I'm this age it's a weird feeling. I don't feel old but at the same time 32 seems to be such an 'adult' age and I don't always feel like an adult. I still play hooky from work (see above paragraphs on my book obsession), I still don't have life all figured out (although 42 is supposed to be the answer), and I still enjoy jumping on and then riding the grocery cart through the parking lot (seriously, who doesn't). If anything, I'm looking forward to all the fun and exciting things this year, and being 32, has to offer!
| Nate and Abby with Nate's Grandma Sylvia |
| My sister hates having her picture taken! More often than not we see the back of her head or a hand over her face. I don't know why as she's gorgeous. She needs to flaunt her looks! |
| My beautiful German Chocolate cake. It was definitely a process to make (I think I dirtied 8 bowls between the cake and the frosting) but well worth it. Mmm mmm good! |
| See...once again Katie hides! |
| I have no idea what I was telling Haylee but I was obviously into the telling! |
| Haylee helping me open my birthday gifts. |
| Abby also helping me open presents. |




No comments:
Post a Comment