August 7, 2013

Abby's First Haircut

Can you believe that I've never cut Abby's hair and she's now two and a half! Never, as in, never. When she was little she had the funniest hairdo and I just couldn't cut the awesomeness. She had jet black hair that almost perfectly encircled her head. I say almost because there were these two pieces on either side that were twice as long as the rest of her hair and it always made me laugh to see them.

A view of Abby's hair around seven months with the long side pieces. Her hair has turned from jet black to a brown by now.
As time went by I just never felt the urge to give her a trim. Eventually her hair grew long enough that those silly side pieces blended in with the rest of the hair and were no longer an "issue". For a good while I simply pulled her bangs up into a fountain on the top of her head and called her hair-do done. Then a few months ago I started noticing that her fountain was so long that the ends were poking her in the eyes. And her hair was so long that it easily got tangled and looked a mess unless I pulled it back immediately after a morning shower. With preschool just a short month away I decided that this was the perfect time to give her her first haircut.

A before shot of how long it was. I'd just brushed out all the snarls and it still looks tangled.

A side view of her typical fountain hairdo so as to keep her bangs out of her eyes.

My Abby being silly. :-) Couldn't resist adding in this one!
I decided to give a local place called Kid's Biz Salon a try. Friends recommended them and they were cheap! For $12 Abby got a haircut, glitter in her hair, a balloon, a sucker, and a juice box. A steal!

The moment I've been dreading waiting for! Abby's hair and scissors meet for the first time. (Notice how she couldn't care less about the haircut but is really into the dog.)

Getting all the nasty ends taken off.
 
She's excited about something she sees on TV. Oh, did I forget to mention that? They also had a little TV in each station with a movie playing (this time it was Toy Story).

Checking out her beautiful self in the mirror.
 
So pretty!

Hmm a new style. Instead of a single fountain the hair dresser put in two little rolled pig tails (I have no idea what to call them but they're the ones where you put your hair in a pony tail, then make a hole just above the pony tail and roll your hair through it so it looks like you've twisted your hair.)

Abby showing off her top knots/rolled pig tails. And someday this girl will smile for the camera on command. That day is not today apparently.

My Abby with her new beautiful haircut. (Again, caring more about the dog.)

1 comment:

  1. She looks so cute :)
    I did not realize her hair had gotten so long. A trim is likely a good thing. Her hair will grow back super fast but healthier at the ends.
    Can't wait to see what cute hairdo you are going to come up with.

    ReplyDelete