October 16, 2015

2015 Edition of the Country Mercantile Pumpkin Patch Visit

This year's visit to the Country Mercantile was made extra special because my Grandmother and Uncle Bobby got to join us. It was fun watching them watch the kids enjoy themselves. :-) Plus, Chase  was just SO expressive in his delight with some of the rides. I think he actually squealed when he got to ride the Carousel. Abby continued her typical pace of racing from one activity to the next, but flat refused to ride the Dragon Roller-coaster, which I will take the blame for. Last year she and I went to the Benton-Franklin Parade for some girl time (Nate was crazy busy with a project at work) and when she saw the Dragon Roller-coaster she was super excited to go on it, but when it actually began operating you could tell it was too scary. I think she'll be traumatized by this ride for a bit longer still.

We started our trip with our required "Grandma and Grand-kids" and "How Tall This Fall?" photos.

Pretty soon we're going to have to move kids off Grandma's lap and onto the hay bales. :-)

Almost 3 3/4! Last year she was at the 3.5 mark. Making steady 1/4 progress each year.

After pictures both Haylee and Abby made a beeline for the Carousel. Since I got a little motion sickness on it last year (adulthood and going 'round and 'round and 'round don't agree with me) I decided that Abby was big enough she could go by herself, so I stayed safely on the non-moving ground this year.

My big girl could even get on and off the horse by herself.

A "not looking into the sun" smile, with Katie, Haylee, and Chase just in front. Every time Chase went around he would smile and wave at me. It was too adorable.

Then it was a round up of some other rides.


Abby had no trouble keeping up with Haylee on the bounce house obstacle course. They were so fast that this was the only decent picture I got of them. Hmpf. I'll have to tell them they have to give me at least two picture opportunities next year!

The airplane ride was another big hit this year. 

Abby finally got the control stick down so she was soon flying through the air.

Big grin!

Next, Abby got to choose where we visited and the barnyard and hay tower were top on her list.


Abby petting a cow while Uncle Bobby and Grandma watch in the background. Grandma is 96 years old! I was impressed with how long she lasted walking around (after this stop she and Uncle Bobby and Mom went into the Mercantile for some coffee and cookies) and how well she got around considering she's pretty much blind in both eyes due to Glaucoma and Macular Degeneration. Go Grandma!

Haylee and Abby at the top of the tower.

And Abby again after she made her way over to the hay mazes hay tower.

At this point even I was starting to fade a bit and needed an opportunity to sit down for a while. The train ride gave me the perfect excuse.


Funny faces at the start of the ride.

Haylee being a sweet cousin. She was worried about Abby being on the outside of the train and falling out so she kept an arm around Abby (you can see Haylee's hand just above Abby's) the whole time. I love watching their cousin relationship grow and develop.

At the end of the ride it was pretty much dinner time, so Katie and I decided that we should get our pumpkins before calling it a night. Abby had settled on getting a ghost pumpkin (a white one) a few days prior and found the perfect one almost right away. It was big, it was round, and only a little dirt covered. She couldn't have been happier! I was pretty happy with her selection as well because this gave her a pumpkin to color on later in the week as she currently has more fun coloring pumpkins than carving them. A win-win!

Katie being a great Mom/Aunt and pulling all the kids and their pumpkins to the pay station.

Finally, we ended our night with dinner at the mercantile. Katie stocked up on enchiladas and salsa (Bo's favorites!) while I tried not to fall asleep in my salad. :-) Grandma bought the kids caramel apples (seriously, if you even have a chance to stop by the Country Mercantile you HAVE to get their caramel apples - they'll even cut them into slices for you for easier eating - they are fantastic!) and then we all said our good-byes and made our way home. As always, I'm looking forward to the adventures that next year's trip will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment