May 20, 2011

Cable is Gone!

Nate and I decided to try a little experiment this summer. We have officially turned off Cable to see if it is something that we can live without. I turned the cable box into Charter today and we're going to spend the Summer seeing if we want to bring cable back in the Fall. We still have the Roku so Netflix and Amazon movies will still be available to us but normal television is off.

It's sort of weird. For so long TV was a staple in our every day lives and we'd turn it on at least once every day. Some days we'd just veg in front of the TV when we needed a day off from life. It was a few weeks ago that we realized that on a beautiful sun-shiny day we'd spent the entire day inside with the TV on. We'd talked about not wanting Abby to be one of those kids that just watch TV all day long instead of playing outside with friends, but we'd realized that we were turning into what we wanted Abby to stay away from. Eek! Talk about a "Do as I say, not as I do" situation. We hope that by turning the cable box back in TV will become a decision that we think about before turning it on, rather than an automatic response to fill the silence and then end up getting sucked into whatever is on.

Our hope is that come Fall we're so used to not having normal TV that we don't even think about bringing cable back. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't had cable in over a year and don't miss it at all. I have the ability to stream Netflix on the PS3 if I want, but mostly we read and get out.

    ReplyDelete