Today at 9:18am I officially became a stay at home mom. Woo hoo!
I am so excited for this new chapter in my life and am really looking forward to all it brings. This past Monday I realized that my maternity leave was up on Wednesday and that day I was supposed to be back at work. I honestly thought I had another week off so this was really a surprise. When I realized it, I immediately thought "I can't leave my baby! She's too little." So a little while later I called my boss intending to tell her my decision to resign (turned out she was out of the office so I had to leave a message to call me back). When I heard back from my boss the next day and started talking about my decision I actually started to cry when commenting on going back to work. Eek! I knew I was making the right decision. Abby also let me know I was making the right decision in her own special way. The day before I was supposed to come back to work Abby got a yucky eye infection. On the day I was supposed to be at work I had a last minute appointment with the pediatrician (which had I been working I would have either had to take time off on my first day back or make Abby wait to see the doctor until a more convenient time - neither were good options). Finally, after getting home from cleaning out my office and turning in my badge Abby showed off by rolling over from front to back every time I put her on her tummy. She'd look at me with this cute grin as if to say "Watch this, Mom!" and then roll away. And to think that if she'd been in daycare I would have missed this. So thankful that Nate has given me the ability to stay home.
As a side note it was pretty funny how different my exit 'interview' was from hiring on. When I hired on it was pages and pages of paper to sign, hours of orientation, and websites to visit and setup. When I exited I handed HR my badge, key, corporate credit card, and five sheets of paper and she said thanks and bye. :-) We were done in less than five minutes. Definitely easier going out than coming in.
So here's to my new 'career' as a Stay At Home Mom. Wish me luck!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I think you made a great decision. This baby period goes by so quickly and if you are able financially to stay home I think that is the way to go. I went part time after my first and per diem after my second. I work about 1-2 shifts per week. It really is the best of both worlds in my opinion. Just soak up all this baby time because it is over in a blink of an eye. I know you will!
ReplyDeleteThey say the true definition of sacrifice is giving up something good for something that is ultimately better. We are so proud of you for your choice to be a "professional stay-at-home mom". It may seem like an unpaid full-time job, but we are confident you will find the rewards and benefits are simply unbeatable. You will never regret making this choice.
ReplyDeletePaula & I have been meaning to write you and thank you & Nate for the wonderful picture you sent. We love your family. Take care and stay in touch! Loal & Paula Vance