February 12, 2012

Abby's First Birthday Party

On Sunday, February 12th, we celebrated Abby's first birthday with family and friends. We invited everyone over to my parent's house (as ours was in the interior renovation project) for a 1pm luncheon. I actually was proud of myself for two reasons: 1) I didn't attempt to do the "perfect" party by making all the food and drink items from scratch, but instead purchased a good amount from Costco, and 2) I DID make the cupcakes from scratch. The decorations weren't as fancy as they could have been had I ordered the cupcakes from a bakery but I had a lot of fun thinking of the decorating I wanted to do and then actually making them.

The day itself was great. The weather was bright and sunny, almost all of the people invited could make the party, Abby's nap was perfectly timed so she got up 15 minutes before guests arrived, and there was lots of talking and laughter with everyone. I don't think we'll do this big of a party for every birthday (I can see it being just family until Abby starts having her own friends to invite to her parties) but I'm glad it was the big affair it was. My baby is one and I wanted to celebrate this milestone with as many of my people as possible. So a big THANK YOU to everyone who came and to everyone who had Abby in their thoughts over her birthday and day of celebration.

Abby's birthday cupcakes. Not so fancy, but full of love.

Abby has no interest in her cupcake. Yet.

Nate and I blowing out Abby's first birthday candle with help from Cousin Haylee.

"Ooh, this feels neat. I wonder what it is?"

"Mmm. Tastes good!"

Abby showing off for Grandma Akers' picture. She loved the cupcakes!

Abby kicking her feet, flirting with the camera, and eating her cupcake.

She had so much fun eating her birthday cupcake. Actually two cupcakes as Haylee thought Abby needed more sugar. :-)

A view of some of our guests. I've been friends with the majority of these people since I got out of college and I love celebrating my and my family's life milestones with them. A better group of friends you couldn't ask for!

Helping Abby open her presents.


Once Abby understood that she could rip the paper and that their were toys hidden in the bags she got into opening her presents too.

My cutie pie. She loved the tissue paper.

It still amazes me that my Abby is one. It's so true what they say. The days are long but the years are short. I look forward to seeing what this next year brings as Abby goes into Toddler-hood, starts walking, gets teeth (still no teeth at a year!), and begins to talk. I can't wait!!!

1 comment: