Or perhaps the title of this blog should say "Sleep Deprivation Causes Dumbness". We've been trying to get Abby to sleep in her bassinet at night which is going okay at the moment but causes me to wake up a lot more during the night (to check on her, put her paci back in, calm a bad dream, etc). I now have to get up enough to lean over the side of her bassinet where before she was tucked into my arms and I could do all of this in my sleep. Combine this with Abby, when she is in bed with us, wanting to sprawl on her back with no one touching her means that I'm also waking up when Abby begins to kick and squirm in her sleep to get away from me. Over all I'm really behind on sleep.
Where is this story going? Well, yesterday I was unloading the dishwasher and noticed that the strawberry (or mushroom) slicer still wasn't clean even after two rounds of washing. I decided to stop being lazy and hand wash the darn thing. The berry gunk was just being too stubborn so after a few minutes of intensely spraying it with the faucet hose I decided to attack it with my finger and a paper towel. Without a second thought I rammed my finger into the blades to push out the strawberry stuff. What I also ended up doing was shoving my middle finger on my right hand into and then through the very sharp blades. So dumb!
After much bleeding and a few admonishments to myself I turned to inspect the damage. What I saw was actually scary enough that I called Nate home from work to give me a second opinion on whether an emergency room visit was in our future. Thankfully Nate thought that, while a bad cut, it was in a place that would need to heal on its own. I was still glad I called him home, though as I ended up needing his help taking care of Abby as I kept jamming my finger into things hurting it all over again. I'll spare you pictures, but if you point your middle finger at you (so that you see the tip of the nail) about a quarter inch below the nail, running the entire nail is a cut that goes pretty deep. Deep enough that when I wiggle the skin on my finger a huge hole appears (no, I don't wiggle it anymore).
Why would I shove my finger into a very sharp object without pause? I can only say that I'm running on fumes and higher mental processing just isn't there right now. Hopefully more sleep is in my future!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment